Round table “Dialogue as a tool for building a good society”
On September 21, The Aspen Institute Kyiv held a round table “Dialogue as a tool for building a good society”, during which participants discussed the results of the first National Round Table on the culture of dialogue and political and legislative measures to promote the idea of dialogue in Ukraine.
In a welcoming speech, Yulia Tychkivska, Executive Director at the The Aspen Institute Kyiv, stressed the importance of a culture of dialogue which is one of the fundamental values of The Aspen Institute Kyiv, on which its leadership seminars and public programs are based.
Minister of Culture and Information Policy Oleksandr Tkachenko delivered a speech on the concept of the National Round Table program and his own vision for the dissemination and institutionalization of dialogue practices in Ukraine.
Afterwards, Oles’ Doniy, a public and cultural figure, presented his book “Transformation of the Ukrainian National Idea”, telling about the stages of development of Ukrainian political self-consciousness and the place of dialogue in the new Ukrainian identity.
Representatives of various political parties, civil society, business, academia, local self-government, etc. took part in the discussion.
Participants discussed the following issues:
– The current condition of the culture of dialogue in Ukrainian society, its cultural and civilizational origins and prospects.
– The concept of the National Round Table Program initiated by the Ministry of Culture and Information Policy of Ukraine.
– The role of the education system, public organizations and the media in promoting a culture of dialogue and the value of common understanding and mutual respect.
– The importance of professional moderation in conducting dialogues and prospects for the development of professional moderation in Ukraine.
– The limits of dialogue and the rules which make it possible.
The meeting was moderated by Denis Poltavets, Director of Program Development at The Aspen Institute in Kyiv, and Andriy Kulakov, Head of the Society of Fellows Program at The Aspen Institute in Kyiv.
The round table was initiated by the Ministry of Culture and Information Policy of Ukraine within the framework of the National Round Table Program.
We are grateful to the participants of the dialogue for their prolific ideas and significant contribution to the development of the culture of dialogue in Ukraine!