Activity of the Digital Threats to Democracy Working Group
In 2020, Digital Threats to Democracy Working Group was initiated by Luminate and created in the partnership with the Aspen Institute Kyiv within the framework of the Good Governance Program.
The purpose of the Working Group was to create a discussion platform dedicated to a broader agenda of actual digital threats to democracy. Members of Aspen Alumni community were invited to participate in the Group.
The Group was co-headed by: Ms. Olena Boytsun (Trustee of the Aspen Institute Kyiv, Investment Director, Central & Eastern Europe, Luminate) and Mr. Sergii Rogol (Trustee of the Aspen Institute Kyiv, co-owner of the group of companies “ESTET”).
In 2020 six meetings of the Working Group were organized, with following topics discussed:
- Good governance and counteracts to digital threats to democracy.
- Digital media environment and information security: looking for balance (information hygiene, dealing with disinformation).
- Institutional, legal and socio-philosophical aspects of digitalization (digital rights, identification, and personal data).
- Artificial intelligence: pro et contra of a democratic agenda (an essence of ethics problem and evolution of deep fakes).
- Ecosystem ethics of digital environment and democratic values (concepts for regulation and privacy ensuring).
- Digital aspects of good governance and the development of democracy (financial transparency and accountability, inclusion toolkit and social engagement).
The last online session of the Digital Threats to Democracy Working Group will take place on 31 July 2020, 10:00 to 12:00. The meeting will focus on review of the Working Group activities and its outcomes, as well as participants’ reflections on possible ways for further development of proper discourse in Ukraine.
Other members of Aspen-community with relevant professional experience may be invited to take part in the closing meeting. If you want to participate in the online-discussion, please, fill out the registration form by the link: https://bit.ly/3dRs7ey till 10 July 2020. Amount of participants is limited. Participation in the meeting will be approved after the review of registration forms.
Good Governance Program is supported by a grant from Luminate.