How to maintain personal Vitality during the war: Aspen community members discussed mental health
The Aspen Community unites the most active graduates of Aspen Institute Kyiv and provides an opportunity to discuss the most difficult issues in a safe environment. On June 16, the Institute held a conversation devoted to the vitality restoration during the war and actions in case psychological help is needed. After all, Russian aggression against Ukraine has a strong impact on the psychological health of Ukrainians.
The speaker of the event was Oleg Chaban, Doctor of Medical Sciences, Head of the Department of Medical Psychology, Psychosomatic Medicine and Psychotherapy of the Faculty of Medicine and Psychology of NMU named after O.O. Bogomolets, president of the NGO Ukrainian Association of Psychosomatic Medicine. Denis Poltavets, director of program development at Aspen Institute Kyiv, moderated the conversation.
At the event, the participants discussed the impact of long-term psychological stress on the body and restoring the ability to control life and avoid depressive states in stressful and uncertain situations.
If you want to research the topic in more detail, Oleg Chaban advises you to familiarize yourself with the following resources:
- Practical psychosomatics. Diagnostic scales: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/351086530_Prakticna_psihosomatika_diagnosticni_skali_Navcalnij_posibnik
- Take online screening tests for anxiety, depression, and stress disorders, including PTSD: https://mozok.ua/depressiya
- Practical guide: accompanying missing relatives https://blogs.icrc.org/ua/2020/03/02/accompanying-families-missing-persons-handbook-ukr/
- Psychological assistance to victims of traumatic events: http://psychology-naes-ua.institute/userfiles/files/POSIBNYK%20Psychological%20help%20%20postrazhdalym%2017_03_2015.pdf
- Basics of rehabilitation psychology: overcoming the consequences of the crisis: https://www.osce.org/files/f/documents/a/c/430829.pdf
- Psychological first aid: a guide for field workers: https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/44615/9786176150787-ukr.pdf;jsessionid=F556E3E180A150AB8E6FA94428F2E3AE?sequence=72
- Protection of mental health in conditions of war: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/330657690_Ohorona_psihicnogo_zdorov%27a_v_umovah_vijni_Pereklad_z_angl
- Praktikum on increasing stress resistance and expanding the adaptation capabilities of the body: https://pv.medstrana.com/reference/2407-praktikum-z-pdvishennya-stresostjkost-ta-rozshirennya-adaptatcjnih-mozhlivo/page/2410
Online lectures and seminars:
- Oleg Chaban’s YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVBUddkLolvrllO0vKFUMoQ?view_as=subscriber
- Permanent online seminar from the Department of Medical Psychology, Psychosomatic Medicine and Psychotherapy (every Monday): https://www.facebook.com/psychotherapy.nmu
- Psychological first aid bot: https://t.me/friend_first_aid_bot
- Website of the Ukrainian Association of Psychosomatic Medicine: http://www.upma.online/
- Resource center for psychosocial support for mental health professionals: https://www.mh4u.in.ua/ya-fahivecz-iz-psyhichnogo-zdorovya/resursnyj-czentr-iz-psyhosoczialnoyi-pidtrymky/